Thai cashew met kip
Thai Cashews with Chicken
- PREP TIME: 10 minutes
- COOK TIME: 10 minutes
- TOTAL TIME: 20 minutes
For the Sauce
- 1 teaspoon soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon sweet dark soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon fish sauce
- 1 heaping tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon water
For the Stir-Fry
- 2 tablespoons vegetable or peanut oil
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled and minced
- 1/2 small yellow onion, quartered
- 4 finger-length dried red chilies (such as chile de arbol), seeded and cut into halves
- 1/2 cup roasted cashew nuts
- 8 ounces boneless, skinless chicken breast, cut into thin pieces (about one large chicken breast - hold your knife at an angle and slice against the grain to get the thinnest pieces possible)
- 1 green onion, cut into 1” lengths
- Whisk all of the sauce ingredients together in a small bowl and set aside.
- Heat the oil in a wok or large frying pan for 5 minutes over medium-high heat. Once the oil is hot enough to produce a sizzle when a drop of water hits it, add in all of the cashew nuts. Fry the cashews until they turn light brown, just a few minutes. Remove them from the oil with a slotted spoon and set them on a paper towel to rest.
- Add the garlic, onion, and dried red chilies to the oil. Stir-fry for 3-5 minutes or until you can start to smell the spicy aroma of the chilies. Add in the chicken and continue to stir-fry until the chicken turns opaque and is cooked through (about 4-5 minutes). Return the cashews to the pan and toss to distribute around the pan.
- Add the sauce to the wok and toss all of the ingredients to coat them well. Turn off the heat and add in the chopped scallions. Serve immediately with a side of jasmine rice.